The allergens are:
• Peanuts (also called groundnuts or monkey nuts)
• Nuts (almond, hazelnut, walnut, cashew, pecan, Brazil, pistachio)
• Crustaceans (for example, crab, lobster, langoustine, prawn, shrimp)
• Sesame seeds
• Celery (including celeriac)
• Molluscs (for example, squid, octopus, mussels, cockles, periwinkles, snail)
• Cereals containing gluten (for example, wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt and kamut)
• Added sulphur dioxide and sulphites
Although consumers may suffer allergic reactions to other foods, it is those in the list which are required by law to be managed.
It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure that the allergens on the list are highlighted on the packaging, and the responsibility of the caterer to ensure that the consumer is informed of the allergen. This can be done in a menu or by signage to indicate that the information is available, upon request. However, any information that is given must be accurate.
For specific queries, contact Alimenti, or speak to your local authority.